It’s only a few weeks to go until the schools break up for the summer holidays and you’re faced with the prospect of dealing with your business and your children for 6 weeks. Juggling your business and your family is not easy at the best of times but during the summer it can get even more daunting.
Here are a few tips to help get you through:
- Plan your time – Know what you’re going to do and when. If you can schedule time for work and then family you can enjoy the time with your children without feeling guilty and really focus on work when you need to.
- Schedule your posts – If you write and schedule your posts in advance you can relax knowing your social media marketing has been done for the next week or so (or even further in advance if you can).
- Inform your clients – Let your clients know if you’re going to slow down for the summer weeks. Let them know if there may be slower response times or restricted appointments. They will appreciate it and you won’t feel the pressure of having to try to maintain ‘business as usual’.
- Be productive – Get your put-off tasks done; admin, expenses, finding those receipts, tidying your filing. Anything that you usually put off that could be done in smaller time slots. Be productive in different ways than normal.
- Ask for help – It’s okay to ask for help. Whether that’s asking the grandparents to have the children for an hour or two; swapping childcare with another business owner or asking your partner for some time alone. Asking for help during the summer can really give you time to focus on your business.
- Delegate – Maybe now’s the time to look at delegating some of those tasks that still need to be done but that you just don’t have the time for. Virtual assistants, accountants, book-keepers, social media managers are all there to help you out and lighten the load if you need them.
We’d all like to enjoy the summer with our children but we all have businesses to run too. And combining the two can be very difficult. What’s important is that we are realistic and plan in advance so that we get rid of that guilt and enjoy the sunshine too (fingers crossed it stays!!).