For some people it’s 4 days of bank holidays and chocolate but for some of us it’s almost 3 weeks of juggling our business and our families as the school Easter holidays begin.
So, here’s the 5 steps you can take to ensure you manage it all and keep yourself sane!
- Plan, plan, plan! Now is not the time to give up your weekly plan. In fact it’s essential you keep it going! Even if that plan contains more family time than usual, keep writing it. It will give you focus and control and if you see your week mapped out in front of you it will be easier to schedule some focused work time.
- Prioritise. Ensure you prioritise your tasks. As you’ll probably have less time than usual, make sure the time you do have is spent doing the things that add real value to your business.
- Assign Time. Try to devote some time each day to your business. If your children are old enough, tell them you are going to work for an hour (or 2!) and that you can’t be disturbed. Let them know when you will be available so they know when it’s family time. Most older children can amuse themselves for a while! If your children are younger then you may have to enrol the help of another adult. Maybe your partner can focus on the children while you work or maybe ‘exchange’ hours with a friend so you look after their children in return.
- Make Minutes Productive. Fit smaller tasks in where you can. A simple email or two while the children are playing or are otherwise amused will free up time later when you need to focus on more substantial things.
- Be Realistic. Be realistic about what you can achieve in the time you have. Be productive but don’t try to fit everything into an hour! It will leave you feeling frustrated and demoralised if you don’t get through it all.
One last thing: remember to enjoy your down-time! If you plan effectively you can be productive and enjoy the holidays too.
Happy Easter everyone 🙂