Not long now and the new year will be upon us. New year, new start, new resolutions. One of the most most frequent resolutions I hear is, ‘I must get organised’ but somehow (like most resolutions) it never seems to get done.
Getting yourself organised has so many benefits; from helping you feel in control and focused to saving you time to increasing your productivity and your profit. So why is it that so many of us never get around to it. Sometimes it’s for the very simple reason that we don’t know where to start. What to tackle first, how to make it work for us or the best way to organise it at all.
Two of the best ways I know to get yourself started is to clear the clutter around you and start planning your weeks in advance.
Trying to focus when you have piles of paper around you that are screaming ‘deal with me!’ or a messy desktop that distracts you from the job in hand the moment you turn on the computer is nigh on impossible. So here are my top 3 tips for removing the clutter and giving yourself (sometimes literally) room to breath and concentrate.
- Tidy your work space. File (or ideally scan) anything you must keep, recycle the rest and put pens/pencils and other clutter away.
- Clear your computer desktop of any files and folders that don’t need to be there (which is most of them!). Replace them with pictures from your vision board (if you have one), so when you turn your computer on you’re met with your aspirations not an array of things that you feel you should deal with.
- Order your computer files so that you can find the information you need quickly and easily. It will save you time and cut down on the endless frustration of hunting for the thing your looking for.
Once you’ve organised yourself physically you can then focus on being mentally organised.
Planning your week in advance gives you focus and helps you get the most out of the time that you have available. And it really doesn’t matter how much time you have to dedicate to your business right now. However much that is you’ll get more out of it if you plan it in advance. Here are my top 3 tips for making planning work for you:
- Plan your week on a Sunday. Planning on a Sunday night (or any time during the weekend) means you can hit the ground running on a Monday morning.
- Write it down. Use a planner that’s divided into days and hours so you can designate tasks to specific times. It’s much easier to allocate time if you can see the whole week in front of you.
- Prioritise your workload. Know exactly what MUST be done that day/week and what can be moved if it needs to be. Make sure your main priority is the thing that will add most value to your business.
So there we have it. 2 ways to get started on getting yourself and your business organised.
But don’t panic. You don’t need to do it all at once. Start now, take it one step at a time and work towards the end result rather than blocking out a whole week, getting bored and frustrated after a couple of hours and giving up entirely.
If you persevere you really will reap the rewards and start 2020 feeling organised, in control and focused on achieving your goals.